Losing the Baby Weight

/
4 Comments
I have put off writing this post because I'm sure a lot of people could care less what shape I am in now. I consider myself a pretty modest person in dress and attitude, but there's nothing like posting a picture of half your body on the internet to keep you motivated!
 I've had a lot of people ask me how to lose weight especially after pregnancy and childbirth so I thought I'd share a few helpful thoughts.
Before: I gained 24 pounds
After: 
There is still work to be done but having kids is such a blessing- it doesn't have to be viewed as destroying your body

1. Be Patient with yourself
Remember that being pregnant takes a toll on your body and it will take time and effort to see results after. Enjoy the time with your new baby and don't waste time thinking about losing weight at first. 
2.  Chug that Water!!!
I realize how lucky I am to have had an easy experience with breastfeeding. When you are nursing you have to drink a lot of water to keep your supply up. It's easy at the beginning because you get so thirsty when you sit down to feed your babe, but most days I drink 120 oz + of water. Stay away from soda and juices.
3. Avoid junk food and fast food
It takes time to meal plan, but avoiding restaurants and fast food can save you money and calories!
I have a sweet tooth, just like everyone else and I enjoy my M&M's just like everyone else in my family, but its about moderation. 
4. There's nothing like good ol' exercise
If you're reading this blog you know I love to run and teach Pilates. Being fit takes effort but it is so rewarding. The current recommendations for exercise are 60 minutes of cardio on most days of the week (5-6 times) and strength training (weights, resistance training, HIIT two to three times a week. 
5. Make the time
It is so easy to make excuses, even now that Hazel is 8 months old, but if you make a plan stick to it. I have a set, planned workout and run everyday and I do it. Sometimes it means waking up at 6:30 am and pumping so I can run before Hazel wakes up. Sometimes I don't get to run...Brice has to go to work early, Hazel sleeps in, or heaven forbid I sleep in :) But then I spend nap time doing P90X, Jillian Michaels videos, my own  Pilates workouts.
6. Get rid of the guilt.
I am a better wife, mother, and friend when I exercise-its not all about what you look like. At the beginning I felt very selfish when I would leave Hazel with Brice to go workout. But having the time to myself, to push myself physically and mentally does a lot more for my relationships than the time I'm missing from them. If you can make exercise a family affair- if you cant then push the guilt to the side and take care of your own health.
7. Set goals/Find your motivation
At the beginning my goal was to lose the extra pounds, but I do believe breastfeeding was the most efficient at that. Next my motivation came from wanting to get back in running shape. My last run when I was pregnant was 9 miles at a 9:05 pace. Great distance, but much much slower than where I was before. This last week I have been running 6:40-7:30 min miles and couldn't be more thrilled.

Later this week I'm going to share a few of my FAVORITE exercise, but for now figure out your motivation!


You may also like

4 comments:

  1. Holy crap, girl! Way to go!

    You should add to the list: Work out BEFORE you get pregnant so you will be able to work out WHILE you are pregnant. In my observation, I feel like that's what helps the most get you back to what you were before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for writing this post! I appreciate hearing about your experience. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're awesome! Thanks for sharing.
    -laurel m.

    ReplyDelete